I can blame my extreme hatred of sharing on my siblings. Plus being the oldest, I was often the lab rat for various parenting techniques. I also got more “whoopins” than my younger compatriots. Wooden spoons, the belt, or hardback dictionaries, I’ve felt the sting of them all. But that aside, I have to say I’m glad I wasn’t an only child. There’s definitely benefits of having a brother close to your own age. For those of you that never had the privilege, I’ll do my best to explain the benefits.
1. Stunt double– Being the older brother, it was always great having a little brother willing to try anything first. Since he was already the “extreme” one, it took almost no coaxing to get him to jump off, or ride his bike into anything. He saved me quite a few bruises, head wounds, and broken bones. Thank you Chris.
2. Dueling partner– My skills as a swordsman would be a tenth of what they are today, if it weren’t for all the practice we had with metal pipes in our youth. The finger and knuckle injuries were a small price to pay for the grace and ease I now have. There’s not a challenger alive today that I have not bested with my blade. I have my training to thank for that.
3. Rock fights– Who needs video games when you have rock fights? Our parents thought that encouraging outdoor play and excercise would be healthier for us. Little did they know how much fun hurling large projectiles at each other would be. If only the human body wasn’t so weak, and easy to injure. Games were always too quick.
4. Fellow battle strategist– I could not count the amount of bee stings we endured that day. But with God as my witness, that beehive in our front yard was no more. We fought long and hard, and we were victorious. So what if we were picking out bees from our hair five hours later. We could now walk on our driveway without fear, and that made it worth it.
5. Eating competitor– Eating can be so boring, especially when eating leftovers. But add a racing element to it, and it becomes a different story. Not only is it fast paced and exciting, there’s also an element of danger to it. You could choke and die at any moment. The sheer embarrassment of dying from eating too fast can really get the heart rate going. Believe me, I saw it with my own eyes. I would have one brother less if my mom hadn’t preformed the heimlich on him. I would never be able to look at waffles in quite the same way again.